What are superfoods?
Green superfoods get their name from their high content of chlorophyll, a green dye that enables photosynthesis in plants. Chlorophyll is a powerful substance in its own right, as it has antioxidant properties.
- Chlorella is the freshwater algae and food with the highest known chlorophyll content. It is also high in amino acids, B vitamins and contains iron. Chlorella supports the function of the cardiovascular and immune systems, and also helps with blood sugar regulation.
- Spirulina is another algae in the list of superfoods. Spirulina is rich in plant protein (more than 50%), minerals, vitamins and enzymes. It has similar effects to chlorella, the active ingredient here being C‑Phycocyanin. It also increases concentration and reduces fatigue.
- Young barley is an important antioxidant that also positively affects immunity and blood formation. Green barley also has a positive effect on the nervous system.
Other superfoods on offer
- Maca has a positive effect on the nervous system, contributing to better mental well‑being, reducing stress and anxiety, and improving concentration and memory. In addition, it acts as an aphrodisiac, promotes fertility and relieves symptoms associated with menopause caused by a drop in estrogen levels.
- Ginkgo biloba supports cognitive brain function, improves memory and has a positive effect on blood circulation. Ginkgo biloba is also a natural antioxidant.
- Ashwagandha is an adaptogen that relieves stress and alleviates feelings of exhaustion. Studies also suggest an antioxidant, anti‑inflammatory and immunomodulatory effect and may help with the symptoms of PMS in women.
- Guarana is characterized by its high natural caffeine content, making it a quality stimulant. In addition, it improves concentration and memory.
- Chia seeds are rich in fibre, vitamins, minerals and are also an important source of omega 3 fatty acids. Their consumption can contribute to the proper functioning of the intestinal, nervous and cardiovascular systems.
- Acai Berry are purple berries native to the Amazon, which have antioxidant properties due to their anthocyanin content. In addition, they support the function of the immune and cardiovascular system (strengthen the walls of blood vessels).
- Goji is excellent in beta carotene, vitamin C and A. It has antioxidant properties, supports the immune system and has a positive effect on cardiovascular health and blood glucose regulation. Goji also relieves symptoms of anxiety and stress.
- Tribulus Terrestris is a well‑known sports supplement promising to increase testosterone levels, libido, energy and support muscle growth. However, it does not seem to have significant effects in young and healthy individuals.